Sunday, January 16, 2011

Seeing Stars...


I get a kick out of seeing stars, the kind in the sky and other kinds as well.  I have had some close encounters in my life with celebrities, minor celebrities.   Not huge, kind of obscure, but my interactions were just a little bit meaningful and to me that makes those folks something other then huge.  To me, being in an intimate setting and interfacing with somewhat famous people, well it makes those guys huger then huge.   They become hugest personalities.
Not to name drop, but... I've danced with a dead Kennedy at Studio 54 in my late teens, sold ties in my twenties at a posh department store on a regular basis to a former head of state - lets call him Tricky Dick, shall we?  I've kept house/played nurse-maid for a man who tamed a "Tiger" (story for another time) and removed the all but invisible tub ring from the bath of probably the most decent politician I could name, in my own life's history.
Best celeb encounter was about 17 years ago when I strolled a block in NYC near the U.N. and made eye contact with the dramatically handsome Rob Lowe.  You know the Saint Elmo's Fire brat?    He actually spoke to me and said, "Looking good.  Feeling good too, huh?'  Which I instantly was.  Who wouldn't be after that sort of generosity.  If I wasn't a fan, which I wasn't, I immediately became one and remain so.  There are lots more.  I kissed a talk show host on live television.  Have been winked at, brushed against, exchanged pleasantries with famous people in lots of odd ways.  I know that this sort of stuff doesn't always happen to everyone and yet there are many people who it happens to all the time.   Me, myself, well I am a magnet for it on a very small scale and I've appreciated and been moved by every experience no matter how small or brief and they've mostly been just that.  However, no star sighting, no brush with greatness can give me the goosebumpiness or compare in any way to the incredible feeling I get when I see my most favorite stars of all; the stars of the sea.
This morning, under the soft, warm, winter sun, as I walked along the Pacific, I counted twenty dolphin.  I watched awestruck as they glided past, surfacing and diving, moving swiftly, swimming north.  No matter how many times I encounter wild dolphin and I am blessed to see lots and lots, they never cease to leave me breathless and starstruck.
Oh my stars...

No comments:

Post a Comment