Monday, September 30, 2013

the cake nazi

If I could take it back, I would.

It's funny, the thing that might make me a good parent, is also currently the thing that's making me feel like a bad one.
He bit her.   
It's inexcusable.
I know...
and so I said, out loud, in front of others, "You don't get a Birthday party!"
and at the time I meant it and at the time it felt like punishment befitting a hideous crime.
A tame boy, biting his older sister at a hotel, on vacation with a group of friends is a pretty awful thing.
Now, months later, closer to the actual Birthday birth date, it feels like a crime to not throw a party for a boy who'll turn ten just this one time in his one and only wild and precious life.

Because I love him, I have to teach him how to behave.
Because I love him I want to shower him with gifts and attention and celebrate the day he was born.
Because I love her I have to protect her from biting brothers.
Because I love them both, I have to follow through and be "of my word".
Son of a...
I guess it's, "No cake for you"...

Love stinks.


No comments:

Post a Comment