Sunday, February 19, 2012

I'll take you there...







I know a place...  ain't nobody crying


Unrealistic.
Unlikely.
Unorthodox.
Uncommon.
Unconventional.
Unparalleled.
Understated.
Un-cola even, but never, ever Unappreciated.


Looking back I realize that there were two options, two possible solutions; someplace large enough or someplace small enough.  
I was young when my parents split.  My father needed a home where he could take my brothers, sisters and I.   He found a spot so little yet extraordinary, it made impossibly perfect sense.  
In the very fairy-tale, little, log cabin we were on top of one another and there was no better way to be.
Last house on the lane, closest to the Appalachian Trail, easy access to the endless woods, room to run, ride, shoot, hike, play and nothing in our way - our days of exhausting action.   "Just add water"... 
                         Summer...
                                           boats, rods, sails and rope swings,
                         Winter....
                                          coats, skates, snow mobiles and frozen things 


It was meant to be shared, in a too good to be true sort of way... and so it was.
...And so shall the memory of it all be.
Last night I heard the music of my Dad's Cabin.  2012, sushi in California, but the songs of the seventies were there and so was I and how remarkable that you are too... and so it is.   Today we said, "it is what it is" and I'm thinking thats rather true and that it all makes impossibly perfect sense, in a too good to be true sort of way.  
I knew there was something magical about that place.  


I'll take you there...
greenwood lake

                    

1 comment:

  1. I loved that place. One of the reasons I left CA for NC was so that my kids could randomly walk in the woods behind our house. Aidan does it in spurts. He now takes the BB-Gun and bagged his first bird. Like me, he did not feel great afterward, but it is a milestone he will remember and the feeling of grown up freedom that walking in the woods with a bb-gun brings is an important part of growing up. Thanks for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete