Monday, January 2, 2012

Coffee, Tea or Me

Thicker then water, they say blood is, but in my mother's family, we'd say it was thicker then tea.
Scottish, Irish, Just us-ish.   


My Aunt Jean has passed away and I miss her, though I've not seen her in years, it doesn't matter.   I'd know her in the dark, but to know her is to not know dark.   
There is something about the people in my mother's family.  
If you walk into their typically crowded homes, you don't feel the need to leave.  
Someone will notice you... or not notice you, if you'd prefer that.  
Whatever your need, it's met.  It just is.

If there is one blessing I must count on, it's that I was born into a clan.  
In the clan the women take care of the children, all of them, every one of them, be them their own or their other's own.
The men will squeeze the children's knee caps till the kid calls uncle and then maybe a little longer still, because they know you really don't want to quit the electric shock laughter that comes when strong pointers and thumbs clinch at the knobbiest knees in just the right spot.  Who doesn't love a miserable tickle that drives you to gasp for air?

Dogs and cats don't scratch or bite.
It's perfectly acceptable for company to do the dishes.
Help yourself means more then pour yourself something to drink.  It means talk to me, look to me, let me know you and you are loved.
I can picture Aunt Jean's kitchen from a time when my eyes were the same height as the counter.
I know the creek in the staircase.
I know the thrill in the smell from passing the Nabisco cookie factory.  It means you're half way there.
In Aunt Jean's house, I'd notice the change in my mother's voice when I'd overhear conversation wafting from one room to another, the tone of unconditional acceptance and comfort.

The relatives in my mother's family are parents to us all.  Each is in charge, each is responsible, each is present and a force.  Never has it been established as such, it just is.  It's just their way.  It's just them.  It's just us.  Broken together.

...and I love them all, with all that I am for all that they are.




No comments:

Post a Comment