Sunday, December 1, 2013

Obits and other nonsense...

She was very silly.
She had an active imagination.
Needed lots of attention.

If I died at 12, this is what people could have honestly said about me.

If I died at 25, they'd have easily said the same things, for the most part.

If I died today, what would be reported in regard to me and the life I lived?

Two people would say I was their daughter.
Two would say I was their mother.
Four, their sister.
Countless their friend.  
A handful would say, "she was my best friend".
Quite a few would say they loved me.
Some believed - purple was her favorite color.
Some, I'm guessing two, maybe just one, oh hell maybe none - who really knows  --- might say I was in fact the true love of their life.   
Some might say she was one of the nicest women I ever knew, but they'd be exaggerating a little.
Some might claim  - "She hurt me"  (hey I'm sorry)
Maybe there'd be some who'd say things like, self involved, but I don't really think so.
Hopefully they'd say, "she showed up when she promised she would.
She carried her own load, did her work, didn't complain too, too much".
Bank would say she paid her bills, as evidenced by good credit.

Who would know to point out; she got goosebumps over things like hawks circling in the sky, the notion of mountain lions in the brush, old architecture, big waves, berries on the vine?
Most of her wardrobe was black.
She wore age inappropriate bikinis with reckless abandon.
She resisted the urge to jump when up high near an edge of any kind, just to see what it was like.
Would anyone know that I never ran out of toilet paper and why?  
Would anyone know how I struggled not to lie, but sometimes did, how I barely ever cried, how I didn't feel much physical pain, so much so that I damaged myself irrevocably at times.   
Could anyone say how I worried mountains over those I loved or have I hid that like physical pain as well?
Some might call me one of the funniest girls they ever knew, but maybe that was so long ago that it would have to go on the she died at 25 column.  
If all anyone said about me was that I meant to do no harm, well then I guess my life would have been a decent one.
I can say this for myself, my own epitaph (in third person of course...)  
She loved largely.
She would have stayed here forever, if possible, just to see everyone she cared for was safe and sound.
Baking relaxed her.
She never gave up on the notion of romantic love, no matter how futile it seemed at times.  (fits in the ages 12, 25 and very old indeed columns)
She made a ton of mistakes.
She considered herself an expert kisser.
She practically never read directions.
She preferred bread to meat.
She loved books.
She made a ton of mistakes, so many that it clearly bore repetition...
She was truly very glad to meet you.




No comments:

Post a Comment