Thursday, May 19, 2011

Say Hello Dali

Why did I buy it? 
 My head was on fire.  Why was I so nervous?  Someday somebody is gonna ask you a question that you should say yes to, once in your life...

"I love the horse's ass".   Hanging above my fireplace is a painting.   I glance at it and observe it a while.   Though I see something different every time I stare at it, I always think about that perfect equine end.  Maybe I should have been a unicorn? 
I acquired (this is a word you might use to describe something you came to own which you should not have afforded - perhaps) the painting by Salvador Dali quite by accident.   What accident?   Good question and I have a good answer.  I thought it was Chagal.   I made a rapid fire decision to purchase it while my girlfriend, who'd come to visit me from New Jersey, while I attended a conference for beginning writers in San Francisco, blubbered over Picaso.  We'd been on a boat on the rocky harbor, you see... and then drunk champagne, you see... and then it rained, you see... and so we hid in a gallery and ended up buying things that might have been out of our league.  You see?    
Because of the city by the bay 
and then the boat on the bay 
and the champagne after the boat
the rain and that there gallery
I have a Dali above my fireplace
... And I never can figure out how it came to be mine, but it is, for now anyhow. 
You see?
Neither do I.
Here is a question I can't answer. 
Why do I have this painting in my house?


Unanswerable question.  I love those.

1 comment: