Friday, February 21, 2014

fortune cookie...


Who rings the bell at 8:53 p.m.?
My neighbor.
Who is naked in her kitchen at 8:52 p.m.?

me.

Thank goodness for rarely used table clothes in rarely opened, weird, trunk-like things built into kitchens by previous owners, where one might store table clothes that come in handy when they decide they want a drink of water after already going to bed too early for ordinary grown ups.

I have a girl who's a Girl Scout.
A girl too shy to impose on others to try and sell her own cookies for herself, so I buy them all...
I have a son who's a mild yet confident self starter with time on his hands this week, who took it upon himself to sell those cookies in our relatively new neighborhood.
He's a little brother who wants to aid his sister, so he knocked on one door and sold cookies on good-faith.   
I have a neighbor who comes to the door with four dollars  she owes my son, who sold his sister's cookies.  A neighbor who is clear that 8:53 p.m. on a Friday night is an acceptable hour to approach a closed door with a brightly lit kitchen visible through the window.   A neighbor who thinks nothing of a mother wearing something that looks like a toga when she answers the door.

"Your son is very sweet", she says.
"You have no idea", I think to myself. 

We are the naked family.
I probably need a life.
I must be doing one thing right if I have a son who sells his shy sister's cookies for her.

Next time I want to see an example; proof of an honest to goodness, working, loving, male/female relationship, I'll look inside my own house.   


No comments:

Post a Comment