Monday, March 21, 2011

Check Please

Leo Tolstoy; "The two most powerful warriors are patience and time".  
I must be one hell of a soldier.  Patience is my middle name.  Actually it's not, but it would be a lovely middle name.  I have nothing sitting between my first and last names.  My folks shirked their duties on that one.

"Patience and fortitude conquer all things", Ralph Waldo Emerson.  He has quite a middle name and he too likens waiting to war.  
I have to ask myself if I am actually  practicing patience when in fact I must seek solace in quotes from smart, dead people to quiet my racing mind and still my pacing body.  

The most patience I have ever  possessed was likely when I had real patients depending on me for every single thing.  Things like simply rolling over or as vital as the pumping of blood and how about air.  Even air.  Imagine that? Imagine requiring assistance breathing and needing someone to help you accomplish it?   If people can wait for oxygen, I suppose I can wait for something I feel is just as necessary to my survival, but others might not agree entirely.   So I won't hold my breath, but I'll try to live up to Emerson and Tolstoy's exaltations and remember the virtues of patience, time and fortitude.

No comments:

Post a Comment