Thursday, August 31, 2017

This too shall pass...


Gifts my mother gave to me...

A tape recorder.   
I told her I wanted to be a writer before I could actually write and she gave me a tape recorder to tell my stories to.
A fur coat.
Political incorrectness aside, she gave me the one thing I was certain she never would - and I still have it hanging in my closet today 40 years later - the perfect bunny fur coat.
A white gown.
I didn't want any of the dresses on any of the racks in any of the stores and so she made me a white, silky, simple, elegant gown to wear to the prom with my senior boyfriend when I was a finicky freshman.
Hope.
"This too shall pass", she always said and those words still roam inside my head... until things pass and they always do, just like she promised.
A reason to change.
Of all the things my mother has given me, she gave me a reason to try to grow myself into the kind of person she is.  I may never come close to being anything like her, but I'll always aspire to be half as wonderful.


If I had just one word to describe her, what would it be?



I've thought long and hard to figure out that ONE word...

Honest.


Out of all the beautiful, marvelous, groundbreaking, accomplishments my incredible mother has achieved in her 80 year existence, I have to admit that nothing is more stunning then her pure, innate, steadfast honesty.  

She is my go to person, my touchstone, my past, present and welcoming future
She is my dearest friend, my lifeboat, life coach and butter-rum life saver    
She is fish Friday and band-aids
She is John Denver music on a Sunday morning
She is a County Squire and Autumn leaves
She is brussel sprouts and home made quilts
She is candle light and campgrounds
She is the original "Material Girl", but never materialistic
She is ahead of her time, every moment of her precious and much admired life
She is Mary Tyler Moore meets Shirley Partridge
She is licorice bits and sewing kits
She is blue lakes and baking cakes
She's must go meals and high heels
She's mugs of tea and home to me
She is planet earth and the stars above
She is everything in this world I love


Happy 80th Birthday to my beautiful mother; a perfect, complex, elegant, shinning bridge over sometimes troubled water.


\


1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete