Saturday, October 1, 2011

sign significance

The first time I watched this video clip, I laughed till I cried.  The second time I watched it, just a few days later, I actually threw up.  What does that tell you?
My reaction was strong.  

When my body reacts strongly to something, I should pay attention.    

This afternoon a bird, a Mourning Dove, landed on my car about 4 feet away from where I sat outside on a porch step.    It was beautiful and it was so near, I wanted to touch it.  When my kids and dogs came out, the bird quite smartly moved to the low eve of the roofline, then eventually back to my car.  It stuck around, uncomfortably comfortable while my kids and dogs created  commotion enough to drive away a thousand birds.  Something was clearly wrong with it, or was it a sign?  If so, what did it mean?  It was not exactly a bird in hand, but a bird on car might be similar enough.

When my body reacts,  when something out of the ordinary persists, when I feel a sensation all the way to my core, some part of me says, "pay attention", but I don't always listen and I now sit here and wonder what would've happened if I actually heeded those signs.  What would come to me if I opened myself?  What is there for the taking or harvesting that I've passed over and over and possibly even over again?  What have I missed?  What did I lose out on?  

When I sat in Barbuta, on Washington Street in NYC with an old friend and a new friend and a soon to be friend, I laughed till I cried watching that crazy video.  I can feel everything about that moment, that whole night.  The food was out of this world, but maybe it was the company that made it taste that way?   Did I miss something?   Was there a sign in there.  Why did I laugh till I wept one night over something rather horrendous, when another night it made me completely ill?  

I don't really have regrets from my life, despite the way things have gone, how can I regret anything when I have you?  But I wonder what would have been there for me if I'd have paid attention to the signs in life.   
More then thinking about the signs I've walked past without changing course, are the signs I've presented to others.   Watching others ignore them is even more profoundly disturbing.   Have you ever given a green light to someone and watched them simply stay still?  Nothing more frustrating.
Eddie says it quite well, "oh the rusted signs we ignore, choosing the shiny ones instead"....

                                                    

No comments:

Post a Comment